We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
The 17 Day Diet was created by Dr. Mike Moreno, a family practice physician in California.
After being featured on The Doctors TV show and Dr. Phil it has rapidly become one of the hottest weight loss plans for two years running.
The diet involves a series of 17-day cycles with adjustments in the composition of the foods you eat.
Moreno suggests that a weight loss of 10-12 pounds is possible in the first 17 days. He cites recent research showing that rapid weight loss does have long and short-term advantages over the slow weight loss approach.
17 Day Diet Breakthrough Edition
Dr. Morano has enhanced his popular 17 Day Diet with some enhanced options that have proven successful for the 1000’s that have completed his program.
Besides what we have outlined below, The 17 Day Diet Breakthrough Edition is supercharged with following:
- 3 additional chapters covering supplements, new exercises, and many more success stories.
- 50 additional recipes.
- An optional “fast day” to accelerate fat loss using Mike Morano’s liquid cleanse.
17 Day Diet in a Nutshell
In basic terms, the 17 Day Diet is a carbohydrate cycling diet whereby you adjust your intake of carbohydrates in accordance with whatever phase of the diet you are in.
At certain times, you will follow a very low carbohydrate diet while at other times you can enjoy specific foods that are higher in carbohydrates.
According to Dr. Moreno, this has the effect of confusing your metabolism and enhancing the rate at which you are able to lose weight. It also can help to reduce the frustration and boredom that is generally associated with long-term dieting.
The 17 Day Diet includes four cycles:
In this initial phase you dramatically reduce your intake of carbohydrates to promote fat burning, cleansing, and rapid weight loss.
This 17 Day Diet phase involves carbohydrate cycling, which has the purpose of resetting your metabolism to stimulate fat burning and prevent plateaus.
You reintroduce some previously restricted foods and will learn how to develop healthy eating habits.
The final phase allows you to maintain your goal weight by eating a healthy diet during the week and indulging in your favorite foods on the weekends.
During all of the four phases of the 17 Day Diet, there is an emphasis on clean eating and the avoidance of sugar and all processed foods.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I have to drink green tea?
Yes, Dr. Moreno believes green tea helps to speed up the metabolism and give the body a boost of antioxidants. Any brand of green tea is fine and it can be hot or cold, but sugar-free.
Can I use artificial sweeteners?
The book promotes the use of Stevia as an all-natural sweetener but doesn’t endorse artificial varieties like Sucralose and Aspartame.
I’m diabetic, is the 17 Day Diet for me?
Dr. Moreno says that his diet is perfect for Type II Diabetics, but Type I Diabetics should be cautious of using his plan. Always consult your physician before beginning any new diet.
Can vegetarians or the gluten intolerant do the diet?
Yes, the book has many alternate suggestions for vegetarians as well as those on the gluten-free diet.
Can I drink wine while completing the cycles?
There are provisions for wine in cycle 3, but Dr. Moreno says that the 17 Day Diet isn’t about depriving you. Wine in cycles 1 or 2 will just slow down your progress, but not ruin the diet.
Can I use this diet to get rid of my baby weight?
Dr. Moreno says that since the 17 Day Diet isn’t missing nutrients, it’s fine for a woman who are breastfeeding and want to lose the baby weight. He advises mothers to consult with their doctors to be sure it will fit with their particular health histories.
Recommended Foods and Food App
Eggs, turkey breast, chicken breast, seafood, yogurt, grapefruit, berries, lettuce, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, tomato, cucumber, asparagus, green tea.
The book contains recipes that Moreno claims are quite easy to make, but also suggests taking out a delivered meal plan from Bistro MD — but this can get expensive.
The 17 Day Diet also has released a cookbook to assist dieters in preparing meals that fit with the program.
17 Day Diet App
There is a helpful iPhone app available that gives dieters 100, 17 Day Diet recipes at their fingertips.
These recipes are formulated to be tasty yet easy to prepare. This is helpful because the app incorporates all of the recommended foods into the recipes while eliminating all of the restricted foods and ingredients.
Sample 1 Day Meal Plan
2 boiled eggs
Yogurt with fresh berries
Dr. Moreno is a strong advocate of exercise as a way to ensure fast results. The 17 Day Diet involves a 17-minute exercise routine that should be performed six days a week. An exercise DVD is available of the 17-minute workout program for $15.
Costs and Expenses
The 17 Day Diet retails for $26, the workbook is additional $16, and the cookbook is $26.
- Encourages the intake of a variety of unprocessed, natural foods.
- Carbohydrate and calorie cycling may help to accelerate the rate of weight loss.
- Variety in the 17 Day Diet structure can help to maintain motivation and prevent boredom.
- An eating plan is simple to understand.
- Includes meal plans and recipes.
- An exercise program is short and effective.
- Home delivery meals are available for an additional cost.
- Includes tips for avoiding holiday weight gain.
- Not suitable for Type I Diabetics.
- Calorie intake may be too low for physically active dieters.
- Irregular eating patterns have the potential to trigger disordered eating in susceptible individuals.
- Does not adequately address the psychological factors required for successful weight loss over the long term.
A Healthy Lower-Carb Diet
The 17 Day Diet involves adjusting your intake of carbohydrates, fat, protein and calories over a series of 17-day cycles, which may have the effect of boosting metabolism and preventing the plateaus that are common with most diets.
Even though the plan was created to help dieters avoid holiday weight gain, The 17 Day Diet can be followed at any time when fast and effective weight loss is desired. However dieters must be aware that permanent changes in eating patterns, lifestyle habits, attitudes and beliefs are essential if weight loss is to be maintained.
By Mizpah Matus B.Hlth.Sc(Hons)
- Samaha, F. F., Iqbal, N., Seshadri, P., Chicano, K. L., Daily, D. A., McGrory, J., ... Stern, L. (2003). A low-carbohydrate as compared with a low-fat diet in severe obesity. New England Journal of Medicine, 348(21), 2074-2081. link
- Foster, G. D., Wyatt, H. R., Hill, J. O., McGuckin, B. G., Brill, C., Mohammed, B. S., ... Klein, S. A randomized trial of a low-carbohydrate diet for obesity. New England Journal of Medicine, 348(21), 2082-2090. link
- Soenen, S., Bonomi, A. G., Lemmens, S. G., Scholte, J., Thijssen, M. A., van Berkum, F., Westerterp-Plantenga, M. S. (2012). Relatively high-protein or ‘low-carb’energy-restricted diets for body weight loss and body weight maintenance?. Physiology behavior, 107(3), 374-380. link
- Nackers, L. M., Ross, K. M., Perri, M. G. (2010). The association between rate of initial weight loss and long-term success in obesity treatment: does slow and steady win the race?. International journal of behavioral medicine, 17(3), 161-167.
Last Reviewed: January 28, 2020